A vacancy has arisen for a Rail Subject Matter Expert Business Partner within G&W UK/Europe to be based in the Midlands and reporting to the HSSE Director Rail. The purpose of this role will be to provide independent advice, guidance and support to service platform managers with the goal of ensuring effective, efficient management and continuous improvement in Rail operational safety standards.
- Advise and support managers in the promulgation of world-class risk management across the service platform; with specific focus on risk identification, management and control
- Support the HSSE Director on the development and implementation of Rail Operations procedures, including the train crew manual
- Promote the development, administration and upkeep of the Safety Management System (SMS), Railway Safety Certificates and compliance with Health & Safety legislation in support of the policies and objectives of G&W
- Carry out internal audits and verification processes relating to operational safety standards and assist managers with the implementation of recommendations, preventatives and corrective actions
- Undertake transparent and just reviews following all derailments, SPADs, accidents, incidents, near misses and operational irregularities; where appropriate ensure all lessons are shared across G&W Group
- Engage across the G&W Group and industry concerning SPAD improvements and work with the HSSE Director Rail to deliver relevant SPAD reduction projects
- Support the overall strategy for the training and assessment of safety critical staff within rail operations
- Facilitate meetings and forums to engage managers in operational safety standards
- Communicate & engage with all employees to ensure rail operations procedures are understood assuming a coaching & mentoring style
- Oversee the management of reporting requirements within G&W, ensuring all notifications and reports are accurate and completed in a timely manner
- Support improvement initiatives and projects across all areas of operational safety, security and environment in pursuit of our shared goals of Zero Injuries and reducing our impact on the environment.
- Get involved in any ad hoc projects, as may be required from time to time
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The successful applicant will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the role within and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
- Extensive and relevant rail and driving experience and specialist technical and operational subject matter expertise relevant to the platforms operations;
- Previous experience performing internal audits
- A proven track record of success in a safety management role, preferably within road/rail freight logistics or a related industry;
- Knowledge of current HSSE legislation, policies and procedures
- Coaching and training skills with the ability to identify skill gaps and training needs
- Proactive, innovative and creative approach to problem solving
- Excellent oral communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to take a confident and diplomatic approach with staff, colleagues and customers
- Written communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise reports and letters
- Ability to prioritise and work well under pressure, whilst making key decisions
- Strong numerical and analytical skills with the ability to interpret data/information and produce in a clear and logical format
- A working knowledge of PC applications; Microsoft and outlook
Role will require regular UK travel.
As part of the selection process candidates will be required to attend a new entrant medical and a drugs and alcohol test.
Are you a reliable, committed individual? Do you possess the knowledge and experience needed?
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a fantastic final-salary pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team.
Freightliner is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Please note that the company operates a strict drugs and alcohol policy.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below.